Convention centre gets scrutiny

Monday, June 28th, 2004

John Bermingham

The public seems to support the nearly $500-million expansion of the Vancouver Convention Centre, if you measure the lack of criticism.

There were four open houses and one public meeting last week, where only about 50 people attended.

The Coal Harbour project will add 383,000 square feet to Canada Place.

Senior city planner Rob Jenkins said the city has had a reasonably good measure of public reaction at this point.

Jenkins said people support the use of public spaces and public access in the project.

“Where people have voiced some concerns is around the design of the roof,” he said.

The public want access to the “living roof,” more than an acre of nature reserve.

The public is seeking direct access to the roof, to see how it works, said Jenkins.

“The other issue is just the overall urban design of the roof, and its appearance from various locations.”

The proposal goes before the city’s permit board on Sept. 13, before going to city council for approval.

The public will get another chance to view the design, and attend a public meeting in the fall.

Planners are also continuing to take public feedback by mail, or on the City of Vancouver website.

© The Vancouver Province 2004


Comments are closed.